photo
api
participate

Etsy RSS &
Google Base/Merchant Center

Visit our Etsy shop: GoTo

Go To Great Panes, Kathryn Maloney ©2009
(This post is copyrighted–you do not have permission to repost this content elsewhere but you are welcome to link to it if you’d like to share the information.)

What is Google Base/Google Merchant Center? Click here!

Update: As of December 2009, Google is requiring marketplaces like Etsy to upload the goods for the sellers, sellers can no longer upload their own items.

For more info on how your items will be added to Google Merchant Center see these two posts:

Google Retired Etsy RSS Feeds

FAQs for the New Etsy Google Merchant Product Search Feed

Tutorial deleted to avoid confusion, see update above.

GoToSupplies

280 Comments

• . Ring Raven | February 2, 2009 at 6:27 am | Permalink

On step 11, you need to paste in the URL that you copied in step 10. Don’t rely on the URL that Google puts there, because they got it from the shop URL you put in for step 4 (at least mine did).

Once I fixed that, it started working for me. :)

• . GoTo | February 2, 2009 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Thanks Ring Raven! I forgot to put the line about pasting what you had just copied into the scheduler–I’ve added it now.

• . Reg | February 5, 2009 at 6:02 am | Permalink

Thanks for the info! That was helpful.

• . Cindy | February 6, 2009 at 6:45 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for this. It took me two tries, but I’ve got everything set up and running.

• . FeltedChicken | February 10, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

WOW!! Thank You!! I just set it up, so we’ll see if it works. Your instructions are very clear & easy to follow. Such a great service you provide!

• . Karen | February 11, 2009 at 6:27 am | Permalink

I did everything you stated here and checked it twice. Set the scheduler for daily and received an e-mail a day later saying it failed. I think it states that the RSS format was wrong. So, I uploaded manually using Let’s Ets and now it’s “Published and Searchable” So, I went back and tried the scheduling steps again. I’ll see if it fails again. Is anyone else having problem using the scheduler with Etsy’s RSS? FYI…when I received an e-mail about the manual upload, the e-mail message was that it “failed” but when I went to GB, it said is was “success” So I’m going for my third cup off coffee and will wait “patiently” to see if the new scheduling steps worked. ARGH~

• . Karen | February 12, 2009 at 5:56 am | Permalink

After trying three times, it finally worked! Well, my active items say they are “Published/Searchable” so I assume that it will work. I think scheduling can take up to 24 hours and it’s only been 9 hours. At least I didn’t get the dreadful “Failed” message. Yay! Thanks for this tutorial. Perseverance pays off!

• . GoTo | February 12, 2009 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome everyone!

Karen–I’m so glad to hear it worked out!

Looks like your items are live now–it usually only takes a few hours to go from successful upload to “published and searchable”.

• . Lis | February 12, 2009 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

Great tutorial – very helpful. I suspect you might be able to do multiple shops if you get a multi-client account from google base.

• . Michele R. | February 14, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

I just set this up…your instructions were perfect…thank you so much! I was over a week late on my manual upload, and now I don’t have to worry at all!

• . GoTo | February 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Lis–I bet you are right about the multi-client account. When I read about that a year ago there was something I didn’t like about it, though now I can’t recall what it was that I didn’t like…. :)

Perhaps I’ll give it a shot!

• . Quirky'nBerkeley | February 16, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the instructions. I had a funny thing happen when I clicked on subscribe to feed — the URL was feed://www… instead of http://www… so I had to change feed to http manually. Hope that makes sense. Now I’m waiting to see how it all works. Very excited.

• . off the hook hats | February 16, 2009 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the info. I hope I did it right.

• . Melody | February 17, 2009 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for the instructions! I had it set up the old way before Christmas, but forgot to update it after 30 days… hopefully this will be easier :)

• . sucree | February 17, 2009 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks for these instructions. It says success, so I will assume its up and searchable.

• . DreamON | February 18, 2009 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for your clear instructions. I had tried letsets before and just got confused. Your method worked!

• . Belinda Ferrell | February 19, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Im stuck here where is this file and how do I know which of them it is
    Name the data feed the same thing you named the file, since that is your data feed.
    We have two Etsy shops, so we have two feeds, they are named:

GoTo.xml
    GoToSupplies.xml

• . GoTo | February 19, 2009 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Belinda–Name the data feed the with your shop name followed by .xml

That was an error when I copied the create a data feed info over from the other tutorial–sorry! I’ve fixed it now.

• . sara | February 22, 2009 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! This is wonderful. I appreciate your time in detailing these instructions!

• . Cher | February 27, 2009 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Thank you SO much for this info, it was a great help! :)

• . annie rose | March 5, 2009 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

thank you for the great, clear directions. i NEVER would have been able to figure it out on my own… can’t wait to see if it works. i hope so!

• . Donna | March 7, 2009 at 10:48 am | Permalink

very helpful instructions for the computer unsavvy user (uh, that would be me)….is there any way to add the extra items if you have more than 100 items in your etsy shop and are using the automatic etsy feed update

• . GoTo | March 7, 2009 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I’m glad the tutorial was helpful for everyone!

Donna–you could create a database with all your other items in it and add items to it/upload it manually if you’d like. More here on Google Base’s help pages:

• . Barbara | March 8, 2009 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Question: I use this method for Ebay. I have different things on Etsy. So, I don’t want to change the URL on the google base; I want to add an additional URL on Googlebase for the etsy store; do you know if I can do that?

• . GoTo | March 8, 2009 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Barbara–If you aren’t using the store connector for your Ebay items you could set up a multi-client account:

If you are using the store connector you’ll need to get a second Google Base account.

• . Barbara | March 8, 2009 at 10:33 am | Permalink

HI, the store connector is not working except for store items- not for items up in the core of ebay that are fixed price. I have 38 items in the Ebay store; I have 450 items in the core of Ebay, at fixed price. I used to be able to have them all listed, via the connector. there is a problem with the new page on Ebay. So, I thought I would list some from Etsy.

• . Barbara | March 8, 2009 at 10:38 am | Permalink

What I would really like to do is get all of my Ebay fixed priced items up onto Google. But Ebay google specific file only has the 38 items in it; the rest are in the Ebay standard file. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• . GoTo | March 8, 2009 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Well if you are using the store connector then you can’t use a multiclient account nor add your Etsy listing to that account. You’ll need a second account for your Etsy shop.

To get your other Ebay items up see the link to the comment above yours for creating a spreadsheet to upload them.

• . Sara | March 10, 2009 at 4:53 am | Permalink

Thanks for the walk through, I was able to do it in ten minutes with your instructions!

• . Lisa | March 10, 2009 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Hi. THANKS for these instructions. I have a question, in step #4 it says to be sure the URL has your etsy member number and not id number. I think this may be my problem. How do I find out which is which? Does this look right (member #) http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6166393 … I pasted that from the public view of my shop, with me signed it. Thanks for your help. Lisa

• . GoTo | March 10, 2009 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Your Etsy ID is your member name. So long as what you are pasting has your member number and not your member name you’re good!

• . Lisa | March 11, 2009 at 3:40 am | Permalink

Oh My GOSH — it worked. Honestly, this is the best tutorial. I used another tutorial a month or so ago and it didn’t work. I checked this morning and saw the beautiful word “SUCCESS” on google base. Really — thank you so much. I appreciate it. Have a great rest of the week, fellow etsian. ;-) Lisa

• . Stacy | March 12, 2009 at 9:51 am | Permalink

You rock!! Thanks!!

• . Samantha | March 12, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much!! This tutorial was very clear and QUICK! YAY~!

• . zMac Photography | March 13, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

If you have more than one store you want to add to Google Base, I believe you have to request a multi-client account.

This is what I found on the Google Base page:

Multi-client accounts:
    Do you manage multiple websites or have clients whose website you manage? Request a multi-client account. Learn more.

Hope this helps :),
    Zulayra

• . BrigaBauble | March 14, 2009 at 7:03 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for this step-by-step tutorial. I found your link to this post in the Etsy forums and was a bit worried that, being so far from tech savvy, I’d never be able to follow it. But your instructions were clear, precise and accurate. Much obliged!

• . Liz Plummer | March 15, 2009 at 7:11 am | Permalink

Hurray, hurray! Thanks for this. I was trying and trying to get the rss thing sorted out looking at Etsy’s wiki instructions. But those didn’t say to use the rss feed address and yours did, and now it’s working! So thank you! I spent hours last week trying to get it to work so I’m so glad you wrote this tutorial. Now I don’t have to worry about remembering to update it.

• . prettypennydesigns | March 15, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

You rock! Thanks so much for sharing this information.

• . livingglassart | March 15, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for all of your help. I just followed the steps for RSS feed and I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

• . carmen | March 16, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Thank you so so much!!! I had been trying to use the Etsy Storque directions and driving myself crazy. The trick was the RSS address in step 13! Thanks so much!!!

• . Sally Jewett-Brocato | March 17, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks. I tried the RSS address and it still didn’t work. SO FRUSTRATING! I must be doing something wrong, but I’ve gone over it SO CAREFULLY! Argh!

• . GoTo | March 17, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Sally–sorry to hear it’s still not working for you. If you had used Let’s Ets previously you need to change some account settings too. Start from step 1 of the tutorial to make sure it is all set up correctly to use the RSS feed.

• . Sally Jewett-Brocato | March 17, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Woah! I tried it one more time and…success!
    Thank you so much!

• . Mary | March 20, 2009 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Great directions. I’m waiting to see if it works – I’ve tried the storque tutorial multiple times with out success.
    Question, will the automatic upload work, when I have my computer turned off? I think it should – but my thinking has gotten me in trouble before :>

• . lenoxknits | March 20, 2009 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for these easy to follow directions that even I could do. I linked to this post in my blog today.

• . GoTo | March 20, 2009 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Mary–Yes, your computer can be off. The automatic update is a conversation between Etsy’s computers and Google’s computers.

lenoxknits–You’re welcome and thanks for posting about our website and instructions! The more Etsy sellers in Google Base the better!

• . Mary | March 20, 2009 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Just wanted to make sure. My upload was successful!!!!!!!!! However, it indicates that I am missing product type values. Any idea how to correct that. I consider my items as new. I use album jackets that I affix to baltic birch and cut into 9 coasters.
    Thanks for all your help!

• . danni | March 22, 2009 at 6:17 am | Permalink

thanks so much, I am now waiting for the upload to see if it works, but I really appreciate your clear instructions. What I want to know is – is it the words in the product title that are used for the goodle search – and if you should I go through all my items and re-name them more descriptively?

• . SewDanish | March 25, 2009 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the instructions. I’m off to try them out :-)
    Birgitte
    Scandinavian Textile Art, Unique Handmade Supplies

• . Micawber | March 28, 2009 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks, what an awesome, simple to follow tutorial.

• . Rhonda | April 2, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for your great instructions. I could not get my rss feed to load on the last step no matter what I did. Just kept retrying it every few minutes and finally BOTH of my shops loaded successfully! Couldn’t have navigated it without your help!

• . Kelly | April 3, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

this is great! but mine failed the first time and now is still “processing” 40 minutes after the scheduled upload. should i be worried?

• . GoTo | April 3, 2009 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

It can take up to 48 hours for a file to process, so I wouldn’t worry just yet. :)

• . AnaStella | April 6, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much! I NEVER would have figured all of that out on my own.

• . Jill Q | April 8, 2009 at 6:32 am | Permalink

Thanks for your helpful post!

I have my upload set for daily, but my items remain
    “Published… searchable soon”
    for MOST of that twenty-four hour time period. Eeeeek!

Goggle says:
    “What does “Published… Searchable Soon” mean?

Items submitted using a data feed will be searchable within 24 hours after your feed
    processes and your file status displays “Success” on your Google Base dashboard.”

I just changed the scheduler to weekly.

• . GoTo | April 8, 2009 at 9:54 am | Permalink

“Published… searchable soon” sometimes lasts only an hour sometimes a pretty long time.

I have found that while the current upload says that, the last upload still remains active so your goods are still up there for folks to find while it is in the publishing process.

• . Amalie | April 9, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

well, when I went to save changes after the utf-8 thing, my feed disappeared and now I can’t register it because it says my shop name is already registerd, but I can’t find the fee. Do you know what I would do?

• . GoTo | April 9, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Maybe try refreshing the page, or logging out and back in to see if it re-appears?

If that doesn’t work, create a new feed with a different name–it should be ok.

• . Karina | April 16, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much. I was scared to even try this, but I did it!

• . Kay | April 17, 2009 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Thanks for this. As usual, I forgot the manual upload so none of my items are showing up, so I’m finally trying the shop feed. Hopefully I did it right and it will work.

• . Dian | April 21, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Help! Went through the RSS feed tutorial, got things set up, finally shows status of upload as successful, but I have no active items, nothing is showing up. What do I need to do?

• . GoTo | April 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

How long ago did you upload it? When you click the active items tab, there are no active items there?

If there are no items there, I’d probably edit the scheduler to update again in an hour. If still nothing shows up, delete the feed and create a new one. It might just be a glitch.

• . Dian | April 22, 2009 at 8:18 am | Permalink

It is there this morning! Don’t know why it wasn’t showing up before. Thank you so much!!

• . GoTo | April 22, 2009 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Yay! So glad to hear it worked itself out!

• . Ali | April 25, 2009 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Very helpful. Thanks!

• . Stillbeing | May 1, 2009 at 1:52 am | Permalink

Wow, thank you so much! Great instructions, very clear . . . I had a few hiccups getting it set up (I kept getting error messages saying “page not found”) but I think it’s working now. Fingers crossed!!

• . Rach W. | May 4, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I did everything you said and it keeps saying “error, page not found”.

Guess I’ll just keep trying?

• . GoTo | May 4, 2009 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I don’t know where it is saying that/what page isn’t being found. Please post what step of the process you are in when you get that message in this forum thread and I’ll see if I can help you more:

Get into Google’s “Shopping” search results–use Google Base

• . Lynn | May 10, 2009 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Thanks so much!

• . Patricia Jones | May 12, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks for this tutorial! I thought I followed all of the steps, but it didn’t work. I found your tutorial and it got me up and running!

• . Lori | May 13, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for the info, so helpful!

For some odd reason though, everytime I try again to fix the issue(it’s been saying failed three times now), it seems to be the RSS link. Now I KNOW I am pasting the right link(from my shop, bottom right corner..rss feed link) but when I got back in the scheduler to edit, it’s showing my id number link…I’m confused!? It won’t paste properly, or something!? Any tips?

• . GoTo | May 13, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Your RSS link should look like this with your shop number at the end instead of my shop number:

You can just type it in if you need to, or copy from here and replace my shop number with your number.

If you need more help please post in the Etsy forum thread I linked to two or three comments above this one and I’ll be glad to help you through it. :)

• . marie | May 14, 2009 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Amazing!!! thanks so much, this was so clear, so helpful!!!

• . birchleafdesigns | May 17, 2009 at 7:41 am | Permalink

You are a Rock Star! Thank you so much for the directions…Kudos to you!

• . enid york | May 21, 2009 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

thanks, this tutorial is pretty fool proof and very useful!

I will report back how this works.

• . teri | May 24, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

THANKS for this info
    I am not sure I have completed it correctly but atleast it is marked so i can work on it until i do get it
    have a great memorial day
    teri

• . Jenny | May 26, 2009 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for sharing this. It was so helpful!

• . Sheryl | May 26, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks!!

• . Pink Whimsy | May 27, 2009 at 12:28 am | Permalink

I too had trouble after Etsy’s recent changes. Following your tutorial fixed it on the first try. It’s so easy to understand and follow. Thank you for providing this for us.

• . Pink Whimsy | May 27, 2009 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Thank you! I had trouble after Etsy made recent changes. Your tutorial is so easy to understand and follow that it worked the first try! Your so generous to help us this way.

• . Caroline | May 27, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Thank-you so much -worked a dream!! Fabulous instructions!

• . Michelle | May 27, 2009 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much!

• . alwaysadorable | May 28, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Finally it worked!

• . Vicki | May 29, 2009 at 9:29 am | Permalink

I have registered my Etsy Google base and set it up for daily feed. Google says uploads are successful, but I can’t find my items in a Google search after the 24 hour waiting period. What am I doing wrong? I read about Google Check -out what is this is? Please help I am getting so frustrated!!

• . Ruth S | May 29, 2009 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Thank You so much for these instructions on how to set up a schedule for Google Base using Etsy RSS feed!! I had been using LetsEts and Manual Upload of the Data Feed file through mid-March and it had been successful, but recently it continually failed. Rather than fixing the LetsEts method, I used this Etsy RSS Feed method and set up a schedule and now today it was successful and I am back on Google Product Search!! I have it set up on a schedule and now I will be on Google Product Search with my updated items without having to do it manually. Again – Thanks so much – your instructions are clear and very easy to follow for me!!

• . GoTo | May 29, 2009 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome everyone! I’m so glad the tutorial has helped!

Vicki–Items usually show up faster than 24 hours, and I see your items there now:

• . Patricia | May 30, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Well, I am wary but hopeful. I hadn’t been paying attention to googlebase since january (silly me). Imagine my surprise when the upload was failing. Thank goodness I decided to look here for answers. Now I wait to see if it’s working for me.

• . Sarita | June 1, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for an excellent tutorial. When I tried to do the data feed file name as my store name, it did not work. I tried adding a number to the end of it, and then it worked fine. I think it’s because I had previously used the data feed file name, and you can’t use the same one twice.

Sarita

• . Bettie | June 2, 2009 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Thanks GoTo. I’ve given these steps a whirl. Now to check back in a bit to see if I did it correctly!

• . Hilda | June 2, 2009 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I try few times to fallow the instructions and the result: INVALID URL after I copy and paste the shop address from RSS feed in to scheduler. Please help!

• . GoTo | June 2, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Hilda–You don’t copy the shop address into the scheduler. See step 10 for where to get the RSS feed address.

• . Hilda | June 2, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

I did. I am using mac and when I click on RSS on right in my shop thinks don’t go as instructed in step 10. I gees I am just dumb.

• . GoTo | June 2, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

No, you’re not dumb. On a Mac it’s CTRL-Click for the right-click function used in the tutorial. I have that in a note up top, but I will add it to the body of the tutorial to help others who may have the same issue. Thanks for helping me improve the tutorial. :)

• . Hilda | June 2, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

YAY!!! SUCCESS! Thank you GO TO you are the best.

• . GoTo | June 3, 2009 at 2:47 am | Permalink

Woo hoo Hilda!

• . Artsdesireglass | June 3, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Great tutorial! I’ve finally got my Etsy items back up on Google Base!

• . Louisa | June 3, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for this amazing tutorial. Now hopefully I just have to wait and hope it works! Great help:)

• . Judith | June 3, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Hi GoTo–you must think we will never be done with this topic. I am new to etsy and using a mac. I cannot get the scheduler to accept my very last entry. My message is: “Domain name must match home page’s domain.” How can that be and what does it mean and HELP what shall I do>
    I have read every entry and not found this problem. Can you help me too??

• . GoTo | June 4, 2009 at 2:14 am | Permalink

Hi Judith–Your fix is in steps 1 through 4 (website URL) and steps 10 through 13 (feed address). Make sure they match the examples I give, but with your Etsy ID number at the end.

If you need more help feel free to join us in the forums help thread:

Get into Google’s “Shopping” search results–use Google Base

• . jenny | June 4, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much! You guys are the coolest!

• . Nichole | June 4, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I just did this and it really only took about 5 minutes! Although my shop has only been posting items for sale since last night, I am glad that I did this now instead waiting until later!

Thank you!

• . Denise | June 4, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Wow that was so easy, I am amazed! I can’t wait to check it out. Thanx!

• . Liz | June 4, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Thank you! I just set it up…hope it works!

• . the Thatched Cottage | June 4, 2009 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Your instructions were so clear – I can’t believe I did this! Thanks so much!!

• . Express It Jewelry | June 4, 2009 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks GoTo, Your directions were excellent. I got it first try and I am not computer savvy. I also have another site that I have google analytics on but it does not have an RSS feed and I do not know how to create one. I wish all hosts were as accommodating as Etsy. Thanks, Shawna

• . liz | June 4, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

thank you so much for those instructions! they were really well laid out–it must have taken you a while to write them, i really appreciate it.
    yay for handmade!

• . Shelby Lyn | June 4, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for sharing all this info. I have followed the steps and we will see how it goes. Your help is appreciated!!!!

• . Franci | June 4, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Thank You! Great info, easy to follow and you were correct it only took ten minutes!

• . Amber | June 4, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks you helped a ton! :)

• . free lion | June 4, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your help, that was awesome and easy to follow!

• . Amy | June 4, 2009 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Thank you. This was really helpful!

• . Anne Kitzman | June 4, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

This was written perfectly! I was able to follow it very easily, step by step and I’m not very good at this type of thing at all. Now maybe I’ll get some visibiltiy for my flower art prints from Google.

• . carolyn gardner | June 4, 2009 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

I think I’ve followed your well written instructions and sitting here hoping at 10 PM I will see some results. Got a little confused in a couple of places but for this 69 year old dude that’s great and says alot for you as a teacher & writer.
    Thanks
    Carolyn & Mickey

• . George Hutchinson | June 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

I was able to make this work but had to go back and ensure that every step was carried out exactly. Had one thing wrong that made it fail, when fixed it uploads data.

thanks

• . Judith | June 4, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Thank you EVER so much. My message says Active–so it must be for real. You are the best!

• . beckysbeauties | June 4, 2009 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Wow! I didn’t even know you could do stuff like this. I am excited to see how this will work for me!

• . handmadebykathryn | June 5, 2009 at 4:42 am | Permalink

Just done this with your excellent instructions.
    Thankyou so much you rock!

• . blackenedruby | June 5, 2009 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Amazingly easy to follow instructions! You’re good! Thank you, hopefully this works.

• . RDINOZ | June 5, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much. That is the very first time I have ever gotten such easy to use instructions for such anything related to the internet!

• . happybugdesigns | June 5, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

You are fabulous for posting this! I have been struggling to figure out how to get more people to my site and never would have known about this or even figured it out. Thanks so much for helping all of us out with this!

• . beadarling | June 5, 2009 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

thanks so much!!!

• . Catherine | June 5, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Dear Kathryn,

You are a shining Angel of Mercy. Who would know to about UTF-8 or the “special” addresses to cut and paste if not for your benevolent enlightenment? Thanks very much!

Catherine
    Poloynis Art

• . jim | June 5, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

hi, i pasted the url from the rss (i’m on a mac) and it was exactly the same as your instructions except my id # was different and i get an error message that says the url has to have the same domain name as the website. it doesn’t obviously. your website is http://www.goto.etsy.com but the rss url is http://www.etsy.com. i had to change the url i pasted from the rss by inserting my shop name into the feed. whether this works is beyond me. please advise if i missed something.

• . jbart | June 5, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Thank you for info and everything .It say active but it is not showing 0 item .what do i have to do.

• . Joanne | June 5, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

I still can’t get google base to run. HELP!

• . GoTo | June 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome everyone!

Joanne & jbart–Did your scheduled feed time pass yet? If so, and it failed:

When you log in to google base there’s a “details” link above the failed message. Click that for info, and if there is a help link (or a little question mark) click that too. Copy & paste that info into the Etsy forum thread linked to below and I’ll see if I can help:

Get into Google’s “Shopping” search results–use Google Base

If there’s any other issue please post it in that thread I’ll see what I can do.

• . GoTo | June 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

jim–See steps 1 through 4 where it describes how to get your Etsy shop address with your shop number, not the one with the Etsy name. Then they will match. :)

• . Irene | June 5, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

YOU ROCK! I cant believe the list of my items is there! the tutorial is clear and easy to follow. Thank you, thank, thank you. By the way, can we do this for artfire or other venues?
    i could Not have done this without this tutorial Thks Irene

• . WATTO | June 6, 2009 at 2:14 am | Permalink

Thank you so much!! This is so kind of you. Your instructions were fabulous.

• . Shirley | June 6, 2009 at 2:27 am | Permalink

I really appreciate this added support. I have set it up and will come back tomorrow to see if it worked.

• . Leeya | June 7, 2009 at 4:54 am | Permalink

that is incredible! thank you so much for sharing!

• . Janelle | June 7, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Wow, it worked! Thanks for the info! It was straight forward and easy to follow.

• . Linda | June 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

thank you for the info. I set it up and it is published. When I clicked on the data quality tab it said submit conditions value and submit product type values. How do I go about doing this ?

• . GoTo | June 7, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Linda–Missing conditions & missing product types are not something you can change using the Etsy RSS method. Even if you change it manually right on Google Base, as soon as your scheduled feed updates it will overwrite anything you have edited there.

As far as I can see, missing both if these things hasn’t effected our search results.

Missing conditions:
    It means there’s no “new” or “used” indicator–it isn’t currently in Etsy’s feed but Etsy admin have said they will have that fixed by the Google deadline for including that info (June 30th).

Missing product type:
    Categories the way Google Base has defined them doesn’t seem to jibe with Etsy’s feed. There’s nothing you can do about that.

• . Dolores | June 7, 2009 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I haven’t tried it yet, but I have been needing help and your instructions sound good!

• . Nell | June 8, 2009 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I cant find the scheduler….??HELP

• . GoTo | June 8, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Nell–it’s just to the right of the data feed on the “data feeds” page.

• . elsje | June 8, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

thank you so much for spelling this out so thoroughly for me. It helped me catch an error in the previous way I did it.

• . Nell | June 8, 2009 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Ok what exactly is the data feed cause I couldnt find anything…Im probablly just being stupid lol.

• . Liz | June 8, 2009 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Goto – thanks so much for the help – as much as I put this stuff off and want to avoid it, I know it is an important way to drive traffic to your shop. Your tutorial was excellent and I am a certifiable computer dummy! KUDOS!!!

• . GoTo | June 8, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Nell–The data feed is how Google gets the info from Etsy. If you follow the tutorial one step at a time it will lead you through setting it up, you don’t even need to understand it so long as you can do what it says. :)

If you need more specific help please join us in the Etsy forums help thread here:

• . ReNae | June 9, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

I can’t get my data feet set up correctly. I had my shop name with.xml I received error message that said “data feed upload failed. Didn’t understand some of the XML formatting in your file. You may be missing a tag or have a nesting or formatting error. We found a mismatched XML tag.”
    Do I need to include goto??? Step 8 where it says click edit and to change encoding, I can’t pull that up. I have windows Vista does that make a difference?

Thanks

• . Kristen | June 9, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Yay! Thank you for this wonderful resource. I just plugged everything in – now I need to keep my fingers crossed that it all works!

• . GoTo | June 9, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad this is helping so many!

ReNae
    …Do I need to include goto??? Step 8 where it says click edit and to change encoding, I can’t pull that up….

~~~No, GoTo is our Etsy shop name. :)

You need to change the encoding, but I don’t think that it is Windows Vista causing the issue, more likely your browser.

~When you click edit next to the data feed name, what happens?
    ~Do you have another internet browser you can try?

Post your answers in the following Etsy forum thread and I’ll try to help you work it out:

• . NikkiDesigns | June 10, 2009 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Thanks, it all worked great! I could never have done it without this!

• . MarySearcy | June 10, 2009 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Thanks for walking me through this! Now I can’t wait to see how it works.

• . lynn | June 10, 2009 at 11:08 am | Permalink

thank you very much for this artical, Go to Great Panes. i’ve been trying to figure this out for a least a month and in 5 mins. with you info. i did it right . thank you very much,
    lynn

• . Megan Stelzer | June 10, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

I entered my info for scheduling, but when I clicked “schedule” (which I guess is what you meant when you said “save”), a mistake is indicated by a red box going up around the URL or file box with text in red that reads “Domain name must match home page’s domain”. Can someone help me out on this?

• . GoTo | June 10, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Megan–Your fix is in steps 1 through 4 (website URL) and steps 10 through 13 (feed address). Make sure they match the examples I give, but with your Etsy ID number at the end (not your Etsy ID name).

If you need more help feel free to join us in the forums help thread:

• . Katharine | June 11, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

I followed the directions on how to capture the link for the rss feed on my home page but when I paste that into the scheduler, I get the following message: Domain name must match home page’s domain. I tried it several times and got the same message. Can you help me figure out why that’s happening?

• . GoTo | June 11, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Katharine–see the comment just above yours for help with that. :)

• . Lori Citsay | June 16, 2009 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Your directions were easy to follow, even for a tech challenged person like myself. I’ll check back at 8:00 to see if it’s working. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• . Liz Miera | June 16, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Thank You so much for the tutorial, I think I got it! I’m switching from the one you update every month to the auto RSS feed. Instructions were clear and concise.

• . Clare Stoker | June 16, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Fantastic tutoril. Thanks so much.

• . hasullivan | June 17, 2009 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Thank you for this article it is super easy to follow and it was very helpful!

• . Astrid | June 17, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for this RSS Google base tutorial. I had used lets ets before, and they expired. When I was following, I could not see a encoding UTP-8 drop-down on the data edit menu. I’m on Safari on a Mac.

• . GoTo | June 17, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Astrid–When you click “Autodetect” next to File format it should appear.

• . Rita | June 18, 2009 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Hi! Thank you so much for the fantastic tutorial. I have done everything and my schedule says active… but… no items appear!
    This is what I get when I click on active items:

“You do not have any published items for this country”
    I have selected US as target country, but Rome (Europe) timezone… am I doing it wrong??

• . Toni | June 18, 2009 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for this! I just followed the steps and need to wait about 10 minutes for the first feed. Keeping my fingers crossed!

~Toni

• . GoTo | June 18, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome!

Rita–It may take a few hours past the scheduled time for your first feed to upload. For a some it has taken overnight, for a few people it has taken a full 24 hours.

Your time zone should be fine. :)

• . Aly | June 18, 2009 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

thank you very much! :-)

• . Bobbie | June 19, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I thank you so much for your support for everyone on google base. I set it up a while ago using your blog. I have not been around to update, and could never get it to do scheduled. Now all of my things are gone. Just followed your blog step by step. It will still not upload on schedule nor manually.

• . GoTo | June 19, 2009 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Bobbie–Right now there’s some issues with Google Base itself not fetching scheduled feeds. Please join us in the Etsy forums for more specific help:

When you log in to google base there’s a “View errors and suggestions” link near the disapproved message. Click that for info, and if there is a help link (or a little question mark) click that too. Copy & paste that info into the following Google Base help thread and I’ll see if I can help:

Get into Google’s “Shopping” search results–use Google Base

• . FJ | June 20, 2009 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Thank you ever so much…I had tried in the past to establish my Google-Base and was not successful. But today, thanks to your tutorial I was successful! THANKS!!!

• . Jenna | June 21, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this! The LetsEts way gave me a ton of errors because of the changes Etsy made. Fingers crossed it works perfectly! :)

• . jesse janes | June 22, 2009 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Fabulous! Thanks so much!!

• . linda boucher | June 24, 2009 at 4:54 am | Permalink

I love you.
    (in a non creepy, but very grateful way)

• . Pat Dippre | June 24, 2009 at 10:57 am | Permalink

I’ve done all of this prior to now. I mysteriously stopped receiving notifications from google that my items have uploaded (I had them scheduled), which prompted me to look into it. It says it is missing conditions and product type values! I have no idea how to access those particulars to fix it? Do you? Thank you in advance!

• . GoTo | June 25, 2009 at 4:28 am | Permalink

You’re welcome everyone! I’m so glad it was helpful! (LOL linda!)

Pat–See this post about the problem Google is having with slow processing for scheduled feeds–many are several days behind so there’s no failed/success email to send (check your last update date):

Slow processing

and here for more on the missing product info:

FAQ # 2: My feed uploaded and it says items were inserted!

• . Lu | June 26, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

I tried this yesterday and I’m still waiting for the upload…keeping my finger crossed that it will work!!

• . Jessamyn | June 27, 2009 at 6:52 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for this post! All set up:)

• . Kim | June 28, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Hi, I had a base feed setup but I did it incorrectly. I setup a new feed based on your instructions, (WONDERFUL BY THE WAY, and I am going to donate, these instructions have been the most helpful tips ever!! )

I deactivated the first feed and the one I wanted says active, good so far, but under the active it says manual upload, should this say automatic or something similar? I have been trying for so long to get this to work that I am probably missing a step or overlooking something in my frustration, so I still need a little more help. Thank you Kimkdep.etsy.com

• . GoTo | June 28, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Kim-You’re welcome & thank you so much for the donation!

You’ve probably got it set correctly–even with a scheduled feed you can manually upload a file so that link is always there.

It may take a few days for your feed to upload–see here:

Google Base: Slow Processing & Uploading

• . kim cavender | June 29, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

So easy even a computer illiterate cavewoman can do it. THANKS SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!

• . Kim | June 30, 2009 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Hi, I am sure I did everything right but after three days it still says “no update submitted” When I go to active items it says none.
    Any ideas?

• . Kim | June 30, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

I just saw the other posts so no need to answer, I will wait a week and see if it works once the scheduler is fixed. Thanks for the work you do, it is appreciated.

• . PerfectlyHandmade | July 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

YAY!!! After a much anticipated time, it’s working! (It took ~5 days.) Everything’s there and will be searchable in <24 hours! You are AWESOME!!! Thanks for the lovely tutorial. :)

Lots of Love,

-PerfectlyHandmade
    (perfectlyhandmade.etsy.com)

• . Rosella | July 5, 2009 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    I was at my wits end on getting Let’s Ets to upload my files lately, even manually. Someone gave me your link and it worked! Thanks a bunch! Will recommend to others.

• . Susan | July 13, 2009 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Thanks for the info. I had tried to set this up earlier, but I kept getting an error email. I couldn’t figure out why, but I think it’s the rss step. I wondered how it was going to upload, but I figured Google knew something I didn’t. Can’t wait to see if it works now!

• . EsThings | July 14, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Extremely Helpful!!

• . Allison | July 17, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

wow thanks so much! this really helped!

• . hobbit_town | July 17, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

thank you! this was so informative!

• . Kim | July 19, 2009 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Thank you!

• . Susan | July 20, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

When I go to schedule and fill in the rss is says
    Domain name must match home page’s domain I don’t understand what Im doing wrong. Please help

• . GoTo | July 20, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Susan–Double check that you have the right info in for steps 1 through 5 and steps 11 through 15. Compare the info you have to the examples given, using your id number of course, not mine.

• . pamela zimmerman | July 22, 2009 at 8:40 am | Permalink

thanks for a great tutorial! I set up using letsets months ago, and that worked for me for a long time. then suddenly it stopped working. It said there was an error in the xml file, mismatched tags. I tried switching to the rss data feed, using your instructions, and it continued to have the same error message. I have tried deleting the old data feed, and going away, and coming back and making a new one. But i always have to use the same name (my etsy user name) and the same file keeps coming back, and failing, even though i have made sure the “rss” is in the middle of the link i post into the feed. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

• . GoTo | July 22, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Pamela–When all else failed I created a new feed with a slightly different name–instead of goto.xml I used goto2.xml. That cleared whatever the buggy data seemed to be our of the feed and it started working again just fine.

• . Liz | July 23, 2009 at 12:32 am | Permalink

you’re awesome! thank you!

• . pamela zimmerman | July 24, 2009 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks, i am fixed now, with my first shop…you are great!

now i have a second shop, and soon will add a third. I notice you mention you have two shops when you talk about settings, but don’t say what to do with the second shop address. I can only assume you have to pick ONE for the settings, and then make two different data feeds, one for each shop? thanks again!

• . GoTo | July 24, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Yes, just create another feed for each of your shops. I posted about that here: Google Base: Multiple Etsy Shops

• . Lori Citsay | July 24, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand this….help please…I get a “Feed Level Message” that says

Warning: Missing recommended attribute: weight
    and “Data quality” says

100% 59 Missing Product Type Values

I don’t know what “product type values” are and I don’t know what they mean by “missing attribute: weight”

I’m getting so frustrated!

• . GoTo | July 25, 2009 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Lori–See the Google Base “Frequently Asked Question” links at the end of the tutorial–FAQ # 2 answers your questions. :)

• . PaperPetalcreations | July 27, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Great step by step instructions. So easy to follow and very usefull information. Thanks!

• . Teneisha | July 27, 2009 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much. I was going nuts trying to figure this out!

• . Bonzaibeadwear | July 29, 2009 at 9:53 am | Permalink

wow thank you so much for the instructions, I was LOST before this!!

• . greenworks | July 29, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks GoTo!

• . Tahgroen | August 3, 2009 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Wow! Just did this! Now am waiting for the feed! Thank You for the detailed instructions! It went perfectly!… so far!
    Tah

• . Foxmountain | August 9, 2009 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks a lot, your step by step tutorial, is wonderful. you rock!!

• . Art2WearBoutique | August 17, 2009 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. I can’t wait to see if it works for me.
    how do we go back and check it? If I bookmark the data feed page will that be what I want?
    Thanks again!
    Diana

• . Lacey | August 19, 2009 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Wow, thank you so much for this information. It was sooo nice of you to share!

• . GoTo | August 21, 2009 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome everyone!

Art2WearBoutique–You can go back to the Google Base page and log in to check on your feed. See the FAQ links above for more info.

• . carollai | August 25, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

thank you so much. so direct and easy to follow!

• . Deb | August 26, 2009 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Thankyou for this post, I was wondering how to set up something like this!

• . Susmitha | August 26, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for this detailed step by step! :)

Setting up through RSS feed like this is SO MUCH better than the way I had it up before, manually by uploading the xml file.

• . Grand | August 27, 2009 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Good Morning!
    I followed your instructions to the letter and I just checked and it ALL WORKED! 1st time! I am soooooooo happy! I cannot thank you enough for this most valuable information. How kind of you to take so much of your valuable time to help others like me. You’re grrrrrreat! Now, I hope it helps my etsy store :).
    Grand
    GrandsCottage.etsy.com

• . nicole | August 30, 2009 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

one more thing. I ALSO have my own website.

how may i upload and schedule weekly for that website.
    THANK YOU!!!!

nicole

• . Elke | August 31, 2009 at 4:06 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! How informative. Those were the most clear instructions I have ever followed online. I wish all instructions could be that clear and to the point.
    Thanks I appreciate it.

• . GoTo | August 31, 2009 at 4:28 am | Permalink

If you website is equipped with an RSS feed that meets the Google Base submission requirements you can use that with the scheduler, or you can create a data file with all your products that you either manaully upload or that place on your website for Google to fetch it from. The GB help sections should help get you started:

Submitting to Google Base

• . Barbara | September 2, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Maybe I’m too tired to understand but in 11 when I right click on subscribe to shop feed I get Copy shortcut as the only copy option is this what you meant or did you mean to click on subscribe to feed then copy the URL from the page that comes up?
    Sorry if this sounds stupid, but hopefully I am learning.

• . GoTo | September 2, 2009 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

You just need to read a little further–see step 12, you are just copying the page address which is what copy shortcut does. :)

• . Barbara | September 2, 2009 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I think I have my ChildsBoutique set up correctly for the feed. I have now gone back to do the feed for my MurphysHouse store but don’t see a place for a second URL . How did you setup the feed for two stores. Did you have to get a second google base account?

• . GoTo | September 2, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Hi Barbara–see our main Google Base page for a link to a post about setting up multiple Etsy shops on Google Base:
    Google Base

• . Kay | September 3, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

awesome, clear instructions. Thanks so much for this.

• . Esther | September 4, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I have three shops on Etsy, do I do this for each shop to get them into the Google base. I am feeling quite dense.

Thanks

• . tina bunston | September 4, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks Go To! I did it! It all went perfectly!

• . Beth | September 4, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Your directions to get the Google Base to work are so explicit. You are so patient with all of us who don’t have a clue. Anyway, I did everything twice, using the RSS way, which seemed to work ok and the scheduler worked ok. But I got an e-mail back from Google saying no items were inserted. I tried twice to get the items to go in, but there is something I am not doing correctly. Also I am working from an apple. Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions you have.

• . GoTo | September 4, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Hi Esther–see our main Google Base page for a link to a post about setting up multiple Etsy shops on Google Base:
    Google Base

• . GoTo | September 4, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Have you checked FAQ #3? That has trouble shooting help–see our main Google Base page for a link to all the Google Base help posts, including FAQ #3:
    Google Base

If nothing there fixes your issue, paste the error message that is on Google Base into this Etsy forum help thread:
    Google Base Help Thread

• . Kathy Swenning | September 10, 2009 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

They mentioned you in a shop critiques tonight. I’m so glad I looked – thanks!

• . GoTo | September 10, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Hi Kathy–Thanks for letting me know–that’s pretty cool!
    ~~Kathy

• . Rhiannon | September 11, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much – hopefully I am up and running now ! :)

• . cristina | September 14, 2009 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Thank you so much. I just opened up shop and the instructions on etsy were not as clear!Thanks!

• . divadea | September 16, 2009 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much! This really helped to clarify the process for me.

• . Danielle | September 17, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! The time you have taken to help sellers on Etsy is beyond wonderful! I was completely ignorant before reading this!

• . Jenn | September 18, 2009 at 2:01 am | Permalink

This was a great tutuorial. But I had an issue when I got to #14 … I get the message : Domain name must match home page’s domain

It won’t let me complete the schedule upload, even w/ just the URL that’s already in there says it’s an Invalid URL
    How do I get past this?

• . GoTo | September 18, 2009 at 3:56 am | Permalink

You’re welcome everyone–I’m glad to help!

Hi Jenn–The URL it autofills may not be right. Check that the addresses you entered match the examples in steps 1 & 14, except with your shop number (not your shop name) at the end of them instead of my shop number(s).

• . lisa | September 19, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Thank so much.

• . Allison | September 23, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Hello! Thanks for the tutorial. Everything worked EXCEPT now when I click on the “Data Quality” tab, it’s telling me that 100% of my items are “Missing Product Type Values”. How do I change this?

• . GoTo | September 26, 2009 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Allison–See FAQ 2 ( also linked above) for info on product type and other general info. :)

• . Liz Elias | September 27, 2009 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Hi–
    I tried setting this up, and I have 2 shops, but it did not work. Both my shops are on different venues; not both on Etsy.
    Now, I actually have THREE. HOWever, I use the SAME e-mail and seller name on all 3, for consistency. (DzyMsLizzy) and with the non-published e-mail address given for this comment.
    I already had the feed set up for my Bonanzle shop prior to trying to add Etsy. I attempted to follow the instructions for 2 shops, as above, and per your guidance in the Etsy Forums.
    It did not work. What happened was that it stopped the Bonanzle feeds, and did not add the Etsy feeds. I now get regular e-mails reading “No items inserted.”
    Was this because I did something wrong, or is it because of Google’s bad timing on it’s phase-in of the new proceedures?

In any case… I now also have a shop on ArtFire…which I would eventually like to add… will this even be possible???

I made my seller name the same in all 3 places for consistency and better visibility and promotion across platforms. Both easier for prospective customers to have to remember only one seller name, and for my ‘aging brain’ to have less to deal with. ;-)

HELP! PLEASE!!

..;-) ..Lizzy

• . Laura | September 27, 2009 at 5:51 am | Permalink

I have the same problem as Allison, and still can not see where to edit product values. It’s products, and then I don’t see anywhere to add further description?

Ugh!!

• . GoTo | September 29, 2009 at 4:11 am | Permalink

Laura–FAQ 2 covers missing product type values–there’s nothing to be done about it.

• . GoTo | September 29, 2009 at 4:45 am | Permalink

Please see the main Google Base page for a link to the “Google Base: Items on Multiple Websites/Domains” post.

You’ll also want to read this post about listings on marketplaces like Etsy, Bonanzle & ArtFire:

Changes Coming for Google Base

• . Suzanne | October 1, 2009 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Can’t thank you enough for the tutorial. I could not have done it without your help!

• . cooljewelrydesign | October 1, 2009 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

You are amazing and generous –thanks so much (always) for your instructions…I saw this problem happening from the minute I read about it at Etsy (and I was affected).

Will start over. Thanks again!!

• . RedheadVintagePaper | October 4, 2009 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Hello,

Thank you for this site!

I was successful in setting up my other shop, but am having problems with this shop.

I get all the way to the part where I am to schedule – paste my rss link and get this error message:

“””To schedule a fetch, a valid home page is needed”””

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks so much!

• . GoTo | October 7, 2009 at 2:55 am | Permalink

You’re welcome! Hmmm… since the first feed worked, I’m not sure why the second one won’t. You have your first Etsy shop address with the id number in your “Settings” section in the Website URL box, right? (Not the web page address with your user name.)

• . Lana | October 13, 2009 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Thanks for the tutorial! I *think* I did it correctly and am waiting for the first update to load. Now I am going to go back to see how to add my 2nd shop.

• . Lana | October 13, 2009 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Well, it didn’t update either of my etsy shops after the first hour like I had it set, but maybe it’s just a little slow. I’ll check back later to see if anything has uploaded.
    If I did do everything correctly, it will be worth it once it starts working. :)

• . Holly | October 13, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I must be doing something wrong in following your instructions to to the RSS feed from Etsy. It keeps coming up with “17 of 64 items loaded”. Is there a limit on number of items, or is something else going wrong?

• . GoTo | October 13, 2009 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

Holly–See FAQ # 3 for help with items that aren’t being inserted, there’s a link at the bottom of the tutorial.

• . Julietta | October 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Goto I’m here again. Just one question. I open my second store, how I do the setup for the second store? Can I do that in the same account on “new data feed”. Thanks so much.

• . Deborah | October 20, 2009 at 11:29 am | Permalink

your info is great but i need some help….my google merchant/base feeds haven’t been working right for a month or so. i went through and took out every mention of sale or free, capital letters, exclamation points….i did a manual upload and that worked. but the next scheduled did not, nor any after that. if you can help i would be so greatful. i am pretty much out of ideas

• . GoTo | October 20, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

You need to find out why the scheduled uploads are failing–see FAQ 3 for finding the error message and solutions. If the solutions there don’t help, post the error you see on Google’s site in the following forum thread and I’ll see if I can help more: http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6246383

• . Linda | October 23, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for all your help. I have had trouble with the recent google process revisions, I had the phrase “free shipping” in all my items and they were all repeatedly rejected by googlebase. I am now revising the language and the RSS feed works. This site helps so much!

• . Stephanie | October 23, 2009 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for this info it really helped me! Clear and concise. I really appreciate it!

• . mickstonedesigns | November 4, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

So, I did as you said and the message suggests that most of my items are inserted, but it also has a warning message for “missing recommended attribute: weight ” and 3 errors for prohibited word in attribute” Can you help, please?

• . GoTo | November 4, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Sure–see FAQ 3 (link above) for help with the prohibited words and see FAQ 2 (also linked above) for info on weight. :)

• . Nicole | November 4, 2009 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

Thank you GoTo! Your instructions are so clear & a breeze to follow. Really appreciate you taking the time to share this with everyone!

• . Bijoutery | November 6, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks for taking the time to put this info together and share it! Much easier way to handle GoogleBase :)

• . Kelley | November 7, 2009 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for this tutorial – it was really easy to follow!

• . Tamara | November 8, 2009 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for this information. Your step by step made it a breeze.

• . Jenny | November 9, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Hi! Thank you for this amazing post! I have a question that I don’t know how to find the answer to. I keep getting a message that says “Missing recommended attribute: weight”.
    I can’t even begin to wrap my head around how to fix this. Can you suggest anything?

• . GoTo | November 10, 2009 at 5:20 am | Permalink

You’re welcome everyone!

Jenny–Missing weight and other general info about your feed is covered in FAQ # 2–it’s linked at the bottom of the tutorial above and also from our main Google Base/Merchant Center help page:

• . ShimmeringSky | November 10, 2009 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for the helpful tutorial! I knew I was missing a step (or nine!, lol) but couldn’t figure out which way to go until I found your post on the Etsy forum. Many thanks again!

• . ana | November 13, 2009 at 12:07 am | Permalink

hi, thank you for all the info just did it don’t know if it work have to way until 12:am , but i have a question i have my on web site, can i do the same with my website? thank you

• . GoTo | November 13, 2009 at 12:36 am | Permalink

You can, but be aware that Google doesn’t like you to upload the same items from multiple venues. For more info and help, see the “Google Base: Items on Multiple Websites/Domains” post and the “Need a jump start for getting your website feed going?” posts linked to from our main Google Base/Merchant page. (See the gold links on the right.)

• . theorientalbazaar | November 17, 2009 at 4:18 am | Permalink

Thank you soooo much for this! It’s uploaded perfectly to the merchant centre (googlebase), however none of my items are showing in any google searches. Is this the part that takes time to show up?

Thanks!

• . GoTo | November 17, 2009 at 4:54 am | Permalink

You’re welcome! Once it is uploaded your item should appear within a few hours in Google’s Product Search. Sometimes it take a little longer, sometimes shorter. It generally doesn’t effect Google’s regular search except when it occasionally pulls three items for the “Shopping results for XXXX” on page 1 of search results.

• . Diane Clancy | November 19, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this – it took several tries but I did what you said and hopefully it will work. Can I make datafeeds for other shops like ArtFire.com and 1000Markets.com?

Thank you so much!
    ~ Diane Clancy

• . GoTo | November 19, 2009 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

I believe Artfire already gives you the option when you are adding your items, I don’t know about 1000Markets. Either way, as of December it will be up to the venue to upload your goods (Changes Coming for Google Base), but for Etsy, if you aren’t doing the RSS feed before then you won’t be in the first round of shops added to it. Folks not using the RSS upload will be added sometine later (see the admin announcement in the forums).

• . Jeanie | November 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for updating the information about Google Merchant (previously Google Base). I could not have set up my account with your kind assistance! You have my sincere appreciation and gratitude ~ thanks!!!

• . Anonymous | November 25, 2009 at 8:12 am | Permalink

crystal clear instructions. Thanks so much!

• . melissa | November 25, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

I get to the point where I schedule an upload (step 15), but I get a red box and a statement “Domain name must match home page’s domain” when I hit the “SCHEDULE” button. I am using the “http://www.etsy.com/rss_shop.php?user_id=xmyid#x” format. What am I doing wrong!? Please help!

• . GoTo | November 25, 2009 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

That’s the right address for the RSS (assuming you used your id number for the xmyid#x part :) ), so check steps 1 through 5 to make sure you’re using the correct version of your shop’s address then try setting the scheduler again.

• . Wendy | November 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much! Awesome directions. I am scheduled and waiting for the upload!

• . Wendi | December 11, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I tried the manual load with just a few items to see if it was going to work and kept running into issues. Just didn’t have time to keep going back to solve the problems. This RSS feed tutorial is perfect! Thanks for all the time and effort that went into creating this!

• . All Things Tangled | December 22, 2009 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This was such a big help.

• . trudie | January 17, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Oh – I just found out that I do get a ID number but I need to be logged out?.

Thanks

I think the crisis has been overted.

Cheers

• . GoTo | January 20, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Sorry Trudy, as mentioned above the tutorial Etsy sellers can no longer upload via their own feeds. See these posts for more:

Changes Coming for Google Base