photo
handbook

Shipping Through Paypal

Go To Great Panes, Kathryn Maloney ©2009-2012

If you have a Paypal account and a scale, you can take advantage of Paypal’s shipping label service. This will help you set up your account to print labels with postage:

1. Log in to Paypal, you’ll be on the “My Account” tab viewing the “Overview” page.

2. Click the “Profile” link to go to the Profile Summary page (the main link, not one of the options on the pop up menu).

3. On the left click “My selling tools”, and page down to “Shipping my items”, and see the “Shipping preferences” entry–click link on the right side to “update”.

4.There you can select your default shipping carrier and opt to display the ship button next to transactions on the “My Account” page. Save each of your changes.

5. At the end of that page, see “Display Ship Button”. Check the boxes you’d like, then click the orange “save” button. This will enable the button on the main “overview” page next to applicable transactions.

6. Now go back to the “My Account Overview” page. You should see a column that is labeled “Order status/Actions”, in it a drop down menu for printing shipping labels should now appear for payments you’ve received (you also have the option of just adding tracking info or just marking a package as shipped).

If you click the link and ship the package through it, the ship button will change to say Shipped, Track. Clicking “Track” will take you to the tracking page for the service you sent the package through.

Important Notes:

• Every domestic label you print through Paypal will get Delivery Confirmation automatically–you can’t opt out of it.
  • Delivery Confirmation is free on First Class packages & Priority Mail packages.
  • First Class Mail Envelopes/Packages with Delivery Confirmation must be at least 3/4 inch thick or in a rigid mailer (see here for 10.2.2 Eligible Matter), or it will be bumped up to Priority Mail. (And it may arrive “postage due” for the amount between the price you paid and the rate for sending the package Priority Mail.)

You can even use Paypal shipping if your customer didn’t pay you using Paypal–see here:

Shipping Through Paypal
Regardless of How the Customer Paid

For more shipping tips see our main “Shipping” page–see the gold links on the right or click here:
Shipping Basics

25 Comments | Add your own

• . RoxysWigWam | March 8, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Ok this infomation is great but becauase i’m new to all this where do you get the special paper to print out these labels can you also order this special paper online and yes having a scale is a great idea also which I dont have yet. So with all this stuff does this eliminate the trips to the post office and you can just give it to your post man cuz that would be great Thanks So very Much for all your info Roxy

• . GoTo | March 8, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Roxy–You’re welcome! You can print the shipping label on plain paper and tape it to the package if you want, we did it that way for a long time.

Once we used peel and stick labels we never looked back though–the time and effort (and tape!) saved is worth the few pennies a label costs. (We put a little piece of scotch tape over the address because our printer ink isn’t waterproof.)

You can buy half-sheet labels online, just give it a google search.

If you are using online labels you can leave the packages for the postman, take them to the post office or drop them in the mailbox.

• . Sonia | November 9, 2009 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Everytime I sell something on Etsy and have what it cost to ship through them and paypal gets paid the shipping cost is not there. So I never see the buyers payment with shipping in PayPal even though its on there through Etsy. Help

• . GoTo | November 9, 2009 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Here’s the wrong shipping fix:

1. Log in to Paypal.
    2. Click Profile.
    3. On the right, under “Selling Preferences”, click Shipping Calculations.
    4. Check the box for domestic shipping and click edit.
    5. Next to:
    “Use the shipping fee in the transaction instead of my calculator’s settings”
    select the “yes” radio button.
    6. Click save changes.

Do the same for international.

If you don’t see shipping profiles, create one and then override it.

• . Beverly | November 11, 2009 at 5:02 am | Permalink

I, too, am just getting started with Etsy, after much planning. I was considering shipping primarily by Priority Mail because it just seemed easier, reliable, and faster. I’m convinced now that this is just what I will do. Paypal offers many advantages.

This Forum is great.
    Thanks so much.

• . juno | November 18, 2009 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Thanks for this!
    juno
    xx
    Juno’s Place

• . Carol | November 26, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this great information!
    I have a question though, is there a way to opt out of printing the paypal reciept that is the other half of the page when you print a paypal shipping label? It seems a shame to me to waste the other label when you’re using half sheet labels.
    Thanks.

• . GoTo | November 26, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome!

To turn off the receipt: In Paypal, go To My Account–Profile, then Shipping Preferences (on the right), click Edit printer settings, and uncheck the Print Receipt box and click the save button.

• . Carol | November 27, 2009 at 1:15 am | Permalink

Thank you so much!

• . Caps of Grace | November 27, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

I’m still new to this process and after a couple tries now, I’m feeling a bit “challenged”. I’m trying to simply print a shipping label through PayPal. On the “My account overview” page I have the “Print Shipping Label” button. When I click on that, it gives me two options: Add tracking info. and Mark as shipped. The first option wants me to add a tracking # I don’t have yet or designate it as having no tracking info., and the second option marks it as shipped with no where to print a label! What am I missing or doing wrong? Also, could you walk me through the “Multi-Order Shipping” process using a SCAN form? Thanks!

• . GoTo | November 28, 2009 at 12:51 am | Permalink

When you are on the account overview page click the main part of the “Print Shipping Label” button, not the right end which is just a drop down menu.

Multi-order Shipping: On the right side of the main account page there is a link under “My account tools” to “Multi-order Shipping”.

• . Caps of Grace | November 30, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Go To,
    Thank you so much, I knew it was something simple (which can seemingly be the hardest, sometimes). Forgive the delay in my gratitude. I didn’t save this link and couldn’t find it again until today, when I finally got down off my high horse and asked my teenage daughter how to find it. She showed me in less than 30 seconds. (sigh)

• . Elisabet | January 6, 2010 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Hello!
    Thanks for this wonderful guide, I was able to easily follow it step by step! I want to start using Paypal to ship and have one quick question…usually at the post office delivery confirmation costs $.80, but if I do it through paypal it is only $.19?
    Thank you!
    Elisabet

• . GoTo | January 10, 2010 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Yes–only 19 cents. The only difference is that some packages with electroinic Delivery Confirmation won’t get scanned until they arrive at their destination, but it is “delivery confirmation” and not “tracking”, so it is as its name implies.

• . Joe | April 1, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Great website.
    I hope you can help me with this one – I am using the multiorder shipping in Paypal. I am also using peel and stick labels with 2 on a page. When I print one label I get html across the bottom of the page which ruins the second label. Any ideas?

• . GoTo | April 3, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Usually that is a setting in your web browser’s preferences. There should be someplace to uncheck a box for printing the webpage address on items, where that option is depends on which browser you use.

• . em | March 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

I am set up to start printing labels from home. Now… I live in a very small town and we do not get our mail at our homes, we all have a PO Box downtown. Will the USPS still do a pick-up from my home?

• . GoTo | March 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

You’ll have to check with your local PO, but if they don’t deliver I’m guessing they are less likely to pick up. They might pick up if you have at least one Priority Mail package and can schedule a pick up (as opposed to just picking up when daily mail is delivered), but I don’t know if that is available to you either. Even if they don’t pick up, you can drop mail with postage paid online in any mailbox rather than going to the PO during business hours.

• . jamie | January 29, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

can you change the price of the shipping and handling after rthe customer has paid in paypal? I don’t see how to do this and I charge $1.50 extra for packaging, bubble wrap, etc.

• . GoTo | January 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

You can’t change the shipping paid but you can do a partial refund if you choose (personally, depending on the item/how much packaging time is involved, $1.50 handling isn’t unreasonable).

Open the transaction page in Paypal and there’s a blue link at the bottom for issuing a refund. When you click it the page that loads will have th full amount of the transaction in the refund box by default so be sure to change that and only refund the amount you intend.

• . Susan Cannell | May 21, 2012 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Is there a work around to print smaller labels for smaller boxes with Paypal shipping? My smallest items ship in a 4inch cube box. I don’t want to have to ship in a 6inch by 8inch by 4inch box just so the 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 inch label fits on the box. A larger box just adds more weight, and additional padding inside, plus the larger box costs more.

• . GoTo | May 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

I think most sellers just shrink the label down–I use 70% on my current printer but needed to use 68% on the last one to make the label small enough to fit on my 4″ by 6″ mailers (#000 bubble mailers) the short way.

For most printers you can change the scale each time as you print the label in the printer’s pop up box that appears just before you get to print, or you can do as I do, and change the scale in the browser’s printer settings. I print very little off the internet so this is the most convenient for me as the setting stays until you change it back.

Have you considered poly mailers for your goods? Lots of sellers use bubble mailers or plastic poly mailers to keep costs down (I know they aren’t right for everyone, but they’ve been great for a lot of our little items).

• . Kate | January 11, 2013 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for the valuable information. I have a question..In PayPal, I do not see First Class as an option to specify for “Shipping Method” I do see “Standard Domestic”is this the same thing as “First Class Domestic?
    TY so much!

• . GoTo | January 14, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome. I don’t know what Standard Domestic it–is it possible you’ve selected UPS instead of USPS? I have USPS set up as my default, and when I go to print a label, next to “Service type” I see the option for “First Class Mail Parcel” in the drop down menu, and no option for “Standard Domestic”.

One Trackback/Pingback

• Your trackback/pingback is awaiting moderation.

[…] really worth it’s weight in gold for the convenience of printing out shipping labels (through Paypal, USPS Shipping Assistant, or other services from home. Posted in Home, Shipping–Mailing Bookmark […]